So, what is a good nose?
There are many proportions which describe what is ideal. But a nose also has to fit the face. A good nose is supposed to be one that does not attract attention to itself. Rather it directs the attention of the beholder to the eyes.
What can be achieved with a nose job?
It can improve the function and aesthetics of a face. Here the function refers to breathing. The following can be altered,
1. Height of the bridge ( dorsum )
2. Width of the bony part ( it can be narrowed )
3. Width of the base can be narrowed ( base is what is seen when looking from below )
4. Appearance of the tip ( it can be slightly pushed up, narrowed or made more prominent )
5. Deviation of the dorsum can be corrected
6. Abnormalities of the nares and ala can be corrected ( nares are the apertures through which air enters inside nose )
Function: Certain causes of obstruction are tackled with a nose job. These include:
1. External valve collapse ( this is seen as collapse of the opening of nose )
2. Internal valve collapse
3. Septal deviation and turbinate hypertrophy ( these are present inside nose and if these are present they can be addressed along with correction of external nose )
What is a revision rhinoplasty?
This is when one rhinoplasty is done to improve upon a previous rhinoplasty. Revision surgeries are more difficult than the primary rhinoplasty. This done when an individual is dissatisfied with his or her previous nose job.
To learn more about rhinoplasty (nose job), click here.