Rhinoplasty is the surgical reshaping of nose carried out under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia. Anesthesia chosen depends on the extent of surgical steps and the expected duration of the procedure.
Post operative instructions help in optimizing your recovery. These are:
1. Sleep with an additional pillow under the head during the first week. It helps to reduce swelling of the nose.
2. A small pad will be kept taped under the nose. It is kept for absorbing nasal discharge. It can be changed multiple times during the first two days. Any discharge which may happen after the first few days may be dabbed with a tissue. Nose picking should be avoided.
Uncommonly there can be a discharge of blood from the nose. If so, you will have to lie down and apply cold compresses. You should inform me immediately by phone.
3. A cotton tip applicator dipped in hydrogen peroxide solution can be used to remove any crusting over the suture line. An antibiotic cream will be prescribed which should be applied over the suture line.
4.A cold compress on the face during the first two days will help reduce swelling.
5. Avoid heavy exertion for a month. You can return to ambulation and mild activities within the first week after surgery.
6. Avoid blunt trauma to nose for a month. This is especially important when one is in crowded spaces.
7. Alcohol should be avoided in the first week following surgery. Blood thinners like Aspirin should be avoided in the first two weeks following surgery.
At the end of the first week as the splint is removed. An improvement is usually obvious in spite of the swelling. The swelling gradually reduces to give way to the final shape.
To learn more about rhinoplasty (nose job), click here.
Beauty may not be skin deep. But it is worthwhile having beautiful skin. These tips can help one look youthful and vibrant. So, what are they?
1. Sun protection:
Sunlight is good for the body. It helps one to get vitamin D. But too much of exposure can damage skin. It can cause photodamage with early onset of wrinkles and sagging of skin.
One should use protective clothing and shades. Sunscreen should be a part of daily skin care. It should not be limited to trips to the beach. Sunscreen must be applied 15 to 30 minutes before exposure to the sun. It must be reapplied in case an individual is under intense sunlight for a prolonged duration or else if it gets removed.
2. Do not smoke:
Smoking reduces blood supply to the skin. There is a narrowing of small blood vessels which deliver nutrients. It also impairs the quality of components, like collagen and elastin fibers, which make up our skin.
3. Eat healthy diet:
Nutrition obtained from a healthy diet helps in repair and rebuilding of skin. Food should contain fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
4. Regular exercise:
Research has shown that exercise helps in reducing signs of aging in individuals who start exercising late in life. It also helps one retain a youthful skin as we grow older. The exact mechanism by which exercise contributes to youthful skin is not yet clear.
5. Gentle cleansing of skin:
Prolonged bath with harsh soaps depletes the skin of essential oils. Use of mild cleansing agents is recommended. Moisturizers are good for skin. Especially, for individuals with dry skin.
I like to keep it simple.