Have you ever bothered about the size of your arms and had wished that they were thinner? If so, you may benefit with an arm lift surgery.
What is an arm lift?
It is a surgical procedure to improve contours of the arms. The lax tissues of arms are manipulated such that they result in tighter looking arms. The extent of surgical modification depends on the extent of laxity of arms and torso.
What is the role of liposuction of the arms?
Liposuction of arms is recommended for those with fatty deposits and good skin tone. This may be a good option in those under thirty. In individuals with laxity of the skin, liposuction does not address the laxity of skin.
Who can benefit with an arm lift?
Individuals bothered about the contours of their arms can benefit with this procedure. This includes those with laxity of arms following significant weight loss as a result of weight loss surgery, diet or exercise.
When is it a right time to undergo arm lift among those with massive weight loss?
Individuals who have undergone massive weight loss should wait until the weight loss has stabilized. In those following weight loss surgery, an opinion from the bariatric surgeon is recommended prior to the arm lift.
Who is a good candidate for an arm lift?
This would include:
1. Those with laxity of the arms and desire an improvement of shape of their arms.
2. Are in good health.
4. Those with realistic expectations about the procedure.
What are the different types of arm lift?
The type of arm lift recommended to a patient depends on the extent of laxity of the arm and torso. The variations of an arm lift include:
1. Classic arm lift: Here the incision extends along the inside of arm from the armpit (axilla) to the elbow. This results in improvement of laxity of the arms.
2. Mini arm lift: The incision is transverse and stays at the junction of the arm and the armpit. This improves the laxity of the upper arms. An advantage of this incision is that it remains hidden with most clothing.
3. Extended arm lift: This is performed in individuals with excessive laxity of the arm and torso. The incision extends from inside of the arm to the lateral aspect of the torso. It helps tighten skin on the lateral aspect of the torso as well as the arm.
How does one get an arm lift?
The first step would be a consultation when a physician evaluates you for the arm lift. Various treatment options will be discussed depending on the physical findings and individual expectations with the procedure. An arm lift is usually performed as a short stay procedure. Patients can return either the same day or the next. Sutures are removed during the follow-up visits.
What is the anesthesia for an arm lift?
It is usually carried out under general anesthesia. The mini-arm lift can be carried out under local anesthesia with sedation.
What is the recovery following an arm lift?
Patients can go home the same day or the next. Small tubes (drains) may be placed which are usually removed the next day. They help prevent a collection of any tissue fluid at the operated site. Compression garments are advised for six weeks. Sutures are removed during the follow-up visits. Patients can return to light activities after one week. Heavy activities including exercise can be started after a month.
What are the risks associated with arm lift?
The risks associated with arm lift include:
1. Infection: It is an uncommon complication, as arm lift is a clean procedure.
2. Prominent scarring: Scars of an arm lift are confined to the inside of the arms. In some cases, they extend to the side of the torso. In some individuals surgery can result in prominent scars, which are treated with massage, application of silicone sheets and pressure garments.
3. Seroma: This refers to the collection of fluids. The incidence of seromas is reduced with the help of drains.
4. Swelling: It is mostly temporary and subsides without any active intervention.
What are the benefits of an arm lift?
It helps an individual to get arms which are more proportionate to the torso. This leads to a younger and healthier appearance. The positive results of the procedure are associated with improved confidence and better options in clothing.
Are the results of the arm lift long lasting?
When combined with lifestyle changes and appropriate diet, the results of the arm lift last a very long time.
In case of any doubts, we would be glad to hear from you.
I like to keep it simple.