Rhinoplasty is the surgical reshaping of nose carried out under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia. Anesthesia chosen depends on the extent of surgical steps and the expected duration of the procedure.
Post operative instructions help in optimizing your recovery. These are:
1. Sleep with an additional pillow under the head during the first week. It helps to reduce swelling of the nose.
2. A small pad will be kept taped under the nose. It is kept for absorbing nasal discharge. It can be changed multiple times during the first two days. Any discharge which may happen after the first few days may be dabbed with a tissue. Nose picking should be avoided.
Uncommonly there can be a discharge of blood from the nose. If so, you will have to lie down and apply cold compresses. You should inform me immediately by phone.
3. A cotton tip applicator dipped in hydrogen peroxide solution can be used to remove any crusting over the suture line. An antibiotic cream will be prescribed which should be applied over the suture line.
4.A cold compress on the face during the first two days will help reduce swelling.
5. Avoid heavy exertion for a month. You can return to ambulation and mild activities within the first week after surgery.
6. Avoid blunt trauma to nose for a month. This is especially important when one is in crowded spaces.
7. Alcohol should be avoided in the first week following surgery. Blood thinners like Aspirin should be avoided in the first two weeks following surgery.
At the end of the first week as the splint is removed. An improvement is usually obvious in spite of the swelling. The swelling gradually reduces to give way to the final shape.
To learn more about rhinoplasty (nose job), click here.
In case of any doubts, we would be glad to hear from you.
I like to keep it simple.